Friday 6 June 2014

You wouldn't download 1001 nights

I saw this on Imgur (yes yes, I'm an imgurian, it's a lovely community). Moo pointed out that he would totally pirate a friend - and I would too. There are lots of internetian friends I've met IRL, some before I knew them online, some after. Some internetians I haven't yet met and some I probably never will. One person I've met inclined that we didn't really know each other because we've only spent time together for couple of days. That is to say that we've only seen each other for couple of days. But for me we've known for over a year since that's how long we've occasionally chatted.

This made me think at what point do we actually know each other? I've been told that psychologists have said you can know a person completely after 1001 nights. That's about three years. After that there shouldn't be any major surprises. With my last boyfriend, we were together almost six years and he still didn't know how I like my breakfast. I wonder why I kept hoping he would after the first few years. Silly me.

Annnyyways. The question is: Can we truly know each other if we've only met online? Do we need the "physical copy" to really know a person? I think it's a question that has to be approached from two sides. In the other hand you can't know another person without seeing how he (not doing the he/she crap) reacts, how he emotes, how he smiles with his eyes... But in the other hand you get a much closer look because you see what the other person is without all the physical awkwardness. You get a glimbse of the mind more through online interactions than from physical presence. There's no distractions from how the other person looks like, how he smells like, how he rubs his balls or burbs.

It is said that we have the opportunity to lie more easily on the interwebs but then again it is also said that it's easier to be open as well. It's much easier to tell a non-physical friend what's bothering you and since you have to tell how you feel because the other can't see if you're crying or not anyway, it's also easier to share inner thoughts just by writing them. You don't feel self-conscious about a bad hair day when you're online. Your online friends don't care about that, they care what's truly going on with your life. They care more about what goes through your head than what's on your head.

For example those who reads this blog knows much more about me than what I usually share with people. But then again, I'm an open book always. I might not tell if not asked, but if asked I'm brutally honest. I may have sextourettes, but I guess that is interesting to some people since the blog has over 2000 views. How cool is that!

I have a birthday coming up so stay tuned for some serious b-day anxiety. I can't promise you anything, but I'm pretty sure that will be the inevitable topic next time. Thank you all for reading my nonsense :)

1 comment: