Monday 21 April 2014

The things we say for love

I've been single for eight months now and I've spent way too much time in dating sites. I thought I'd share some of the best and worst experiences I've had with you, dear reader. By best I mean the most hilarious and by the worst I just mean the worst.

I've been on two sites, one Finnish and one global. Both of them are free to use, I never paid any extra for more features. I'm not that into dating. Overall I think dating isn't something for a Finn anyway. My friend told me about this app that you can use to find single people close to you when you're on the move, rate them and if they like you back, chat with them and meet up with them. Finns are not exactly famous about casual dating, going out with someone usually requires more than just a hi and a smile. Some guys in the internet dating world gets that and aren't pushing to meet right away, or if they are, they do it nicely. There's a fine line between cute and creepy.

I think guys have a lot of pressure to stand out in dating sites. For a girl it's pretty much enough that you're a girl. I think the key is to be friendly, interested in the other person and not jump into conclusions of the other person.

One of the funniest one was one guy who offered to be my dog. I didn't answer it. I've also been offered sex quite many times but for some reason they never seem to be appealing to me... go figure.

One guy told me that he thinks - in based on my profile - I'm depressed. Umm... how is that going to get you in my pants or in my heart?

One guy that I actually went out with was talking about kids on third date and then flipped out and deleted me from his friends in FB. It was an utter mess and makes me quite hesitant to meet anyone anymore. Only shows why dating isn't for Finns: you can't get to know the other person if the premises are for something more serious. Seriously. We hadn't even kissed. Dude, relax.

One guy asked me to chat with him because he was bored and ended up flipping too because I answered shortly to one of his message. I don't have time for people getting all crazy over nothing so I usually just stop answering to those kind of people. I guess the problem is that I'm nowhere near desperate enough for dating sites. I hope I never will.

I also found out that most of Finnish guys are so utterly boring that I feel like throwing up when I read their profiles or messages. One guy asked if would be interested in joining him watching the news. Yea, because that's what I'm looking for in a dating site. Someone to watch the news with. Oh god.

One guy asked me to go out for a cup of coffee. Nothing else but straight into business. I politely turned him down but then received more messages for explaining myself why not. I don't care to argue people with that kind of stuff. If I say no, it is a no. Why is that so hard to accept?

I'm sure not all the girls are like me, but I dislike people who don't take the time to write their messages or profiles. Is it so hard to use capital letters when beginning a sentence? It's not like my English is even close to fluent, but at least I try. It does show if one tries. One guy sent me messages that were couple of words long. When I asked him to elaborate, he said I was cold. hahahaha,,,wtf m8 fite m irl!!!1

One guy wrote me a poem. It was about a "bunch of flowers" that sweat. My poets heart died a little with that one.

A good first message is bright and happy. It's humorous and shows that you've read even something about the others profile. It's not generic, it's personal - like you want to be with that other person. If you start with generic, you'll end up being generic.

But I guess there are matches for "kinky mathematicians" too. Or hairless dogs.

And peeps. You might want to add a picture that actually makes you appealing to others. Don't choose the one your buttons are about to burst on your shirt or where you  are sitting with bunch of people so no one knows which one you are. But don't lose the hat. I like hats.

No comments:

Post a Comment