Saturday 25 January 2014

Once I had a heart

(I actually wrote this a while back, but because I didn't want to cause any trouble I'm posting this now. Excuse my emo-ness, I was pretty upset then.) 

Human heart is, metaphorically speaking, a marvellous thing. One person, one heart, can suffer quite a lot in one lifetime. We feel abandonment, we suffer in love, we lose in games of life, we're buried in the loss and mourning for others.

But how much pain is too much? When does that point come up when we can't take anymore? What happens if we just can't get out of the darkness? What happens when we lose all hope? How much actual sorrow can we bare?

I'm not talking about long term depression here. I'm talking about sudden incidents in life. The ones we can't change or effect in any way. Even though we wish we could and we're left feeling that we should have done something.

How many wars can one person go through? How many loved ones can one person lose? How many times can one be betrayed or cheated? How many times can one be faced with bad news before the soul just shatters into pieces that can't be glued together again? What do you do when you can't sleep at night because you don't want to wake up for another day with that much sadness in your heart?

Today I saw that feeling in my friends eyes. And there was nothing I could have said or do to make it better. She's been through so much already and it just breaks my heart to see her suffer. I know she will get through this eventually because she is strong. In the time being I can just stand there helplessly and hope my hugs are warm enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment