Wednesday 25 December 2013

Kids, this is a story of how I didn't meet your father

This time of the year my facebook feed is bursting with complaints of how irritating customers can be. This made me think about the time I used to work in customer service. Memories grow sweeter with time and I'm starting to forget the times I came home and burst in to tears. Or the times I didn't even get home and just cried at the work place.

But what I do remember was this one guy - or should I say a man - who came to the store very often and generally wanted to talk to me and kinda hoovered near my counter. He didn't speak very good Finnish and he had a little boy with him often. The boy was about 5 years old and I assumed he was that mans son. I never saw the guy with a woman so I also assumed he was a single dad.

It was pretty awkward to talk to him and then one time he brought me a pair of earrings. I tried to refuse the gift but he insisted. I think I left the pair under the counter somewhere because they were not to my liking and anyway it would've been too uncomfortable to wear them.

When I started looking back at that moment first I thought I might be little racist and that's why the guy creeped me out so much. But when I thought about it more the occasion reminded me of one episode in How I Met Your Mother where the characters were talking about how sweet gestures are creepy only if the receiver does not like the other one back.

After I broke up with my last long term boyfriend (has it been four/five months now?) more than one guy have contacted me. I'm not sure but from few of them I get the feeling that they have an agenda behind the getting-in-touch-thingey. I'm usually pretty frank myself so this hoovering around subjects gets on to my nerves. Sometimes I feel like yelling to most of the people with penises around me: WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?!

Few of my schoolmates and I talked about getting the whole liking or going on a date stuff out of the way and how it might not be the best idea. We talked how it could ruin the anticipation and the wait can actually be thrilling. But I'm not a patient person and I don't appreciate games. At least not that kind of games :)

We are all afraid of rejection and ridicule. But I'm looking for a man who is not afraid of me, and how can a person not be afraid of a hothead like me if he is too afraid of asking me out and seeing me face to face just the two of us?

Which reminds me of this song I usually sing when there's just two people online in the guild.

Now it can play in your head too! You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment