Tuesday 3 September 2013

The first morning

For a year now I've been writing a blog in Finnish about World of Warcraft and some other stuff too, but I felt my audience was more likely to be able to read in English than just in Finnish. So I decided to translate some of the posts in English. After that is done I will keep posting in English. You should know that I am not a native speaker and as good practise as this is, there's gonna be a lot of mistakes. Bare with me!

This was written on thursday September 20th 2012:

Good morning world!
For long I've been wanting to write a blog but for some reasons or others starting one has been difficult. Not physically difficult, like I just noticed, but writing a blog seems like a lot of work. And it comes with certain responsibility too, I think. I started studying in the university and I thought writing would help me to upkeep the skill. So it was time to take action. All the Facebookchatlanguage isn't good enough anymore so here it starts: the fine art of carefully put words. Mostly, like the name states, I'm going to focus on blabbering about World of Warcraft, but I might get sidetracked to ponder about current events - or things like that (ahem ahem). The reason I wanna blog about a game is because many times when I'm gaming I get a feeling I'd like to share some fun times for a bigger public.

WoW fills in a certain level a more significant part of my life I - as a somewhat normal person - would like to admit. From the year 2007 I have had some problems with my right wrist and with working too much, it got so bad that at some point I couldn't tie my own shoelaces and just about everything hurt. Only thing I could do was move the mouse and gently press the buttons on my keyboard. Few years ago I had to stop working and ended up being on a very long sickleave. It was hard at first, I was ashamed to go out because I kept thinking "what if someone sees me? here I am going to the store but I tell them I can't go to work". It took a long time before I got used to the idea that my life couldn't stop only because my wrist did.


So,I filled my time gaming. WoW is a good game because you don't have to play it for hours straight, or that intesively. When you fly from place to place you can let go of the mouse and even get up from your chair to give your legs some blood circulation. I tried playing some first person shooters, but I noticed that I held the mouse convulsively... and you know how those times ended up. Badly.


These days I play light games while watching out for my hand. Summers are always better when it's warmer, so the upcoming long and cold winter scares me. Especially when last winter was hard in every way, but maybe more about that later. I'm happy to tell you that I can now tie my own shoelaces and order steak at a restaurant without having someone cut it for me. I can do short chores like cook, but writing (by hand) is a certain way to have pain the next day. This is why I am content on poking the buttons on my keyboard -  as if there is even more fun things to do than chat with your friends in a beautiful and smooth virtual world!


More of this coming up, stay tuned!

2 comments: